Friday, March 5, 2010

Spring Break Reading List

God is wonderfully kind and opened the gates of sunshine and warmth for us as we were unleashed for Spring Break today. The weather makes me feel hyperactive, which is perfect because though I am not going to Gulf Shores, Alabama or Cancun or anywhere typically thought to be exciting, I am going filming. And this is just the weather I need. Beautiful.
In the moments in between filming interviews and B-roll for a student documentary and catching up on chemistry homework and folding laundry and providing a taxi service etc. etc., I will be working in the garden and reading. 
And writing.
Wow. I haven't written in so long that it didn't even occur to me. It will take a bit of reading to shake off the practicality that has squelched my muse once again. First I must finish MC Beaton's There Goes the Bride, an Agatha Raisin Mystery. And I should probably finish Christopher Reich's Rules of Vengeance. MC Beaton's British cozy was set aside for he sake of homework and editing, couldn't be helped. Rules of Vengeance....I've finished several other books after starting this one, that says something. It's okay, it has its moments, but it just doesn't grip me. There's something impersonal about it. Don't altogether care for it, but it isn't horrible. Reich seems to be one of those technical detail men that lacks in the emotional detail that is necessary to grip readers.
The rest of my list in no particular order:
Breaking Dawn (Yes, I will read it, blerg.) Stephenie Meyer
Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin
Fallen by Lauren Kate (hush, I'm a sucker for a good cover art)
The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe
The Poisoner's Handbook by Deborah Blum

I hope to get through them all...so I can go buy more!

No comments:

Post a Comment