Sunday, May 22, 2011

North of Beautiful


Yes, it's a so-called "issue" book. No, it isn't a sweeping romance or heart-pounding thriller, but it was so real and honest that it actually made me cry several times. Justina Chen Headley, with her strong yet beautiful grasp on prose, writes with brutal honesty in a way that isn't off-putting. She makes you cry, makes you angry, and makes you remember that first, most amazing kiss with the love of your life. This isn't just a story about a girl with inner-beauty issues. It's so much more. It's a book about emotional abuse (the part that made me cry and if you think the dad is over the top and too much to be true let me tell, he isn't), it's a story about adoption and finding your place in the world. It's a story about cheating and divorce and families that are torn apart by selfishness. In short, it a beautifully crafted story about life as it really is. And, I gotta tell you, I love Jacob. Were I fifteen years younger I would totally have a literary crush. I didn't want this book to end. I wanted to stay with Jacob and Terra. I wanted to see her mom fully bloom. Excellent, excellent. I swear Ms. Headley could have stalked me through the worst years of my life, a recorder in hand, some of the dialogue...a lot of it actually....was just too familiar for comfort. Well done! If there were a second, it would be in my hands already. And, as an aside, I would like to point out, do you notice the similarities between this cover and Evermore by Alyson Noel?





No comments:

Post a Comment