Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Arrogance

My first book review will be a short one, namely because I have not managed to torture myself through completing the introduction to said book.
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers looked like a book with promise. Unfortunately the writing (just in the introduction) is so pompous that I have yet to waste my time finishing the rest of the book. Eggers likes his $10 words and the sound of his own voice in his head and relishes the processes of his own mind, just a wee bit too much.
Heartbreaking? Yes, I shouldn't have spent money on it. It is a definite library read, like a movie you wait to get on DVD instead of going to the theater to see it.
Staggering? Indeed, in it's arrogance.
Genius....doubtful.
We'll see.
But, that's just my review of the introduction.
One of these days, when I have nothing better to do, maybe I will waste my time finishing it. It will not be done out of curiosity but out of the simple, practical fact that I spent money on that book and I'm going to read it.
Horror. I am NOT looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment