Sunday, March 14, 2010

9

After watching Tim Burton, Timur Bekmambetov, and Shane Aker's 9 I am only more certain that Alice in Wonderland is Burton's best.
9 struck me as monochromatic and vaguely familiar. Maybe the Beast reminded me too much of the bowler hat in Meet the Robinson's. There was nothing decidedly original about the storyline and, like Breaking Dawn, I just kept hoping it would suddenly surprise me with a burst of brilliance or just end.
It just ended, after what seemed a very long time.
The animation was impressive yes, but it was all dark and flat.
It had moments when it reminded me of The Secrets of Nihm, but this is most likely due to the concept of miniatures living in our giant world. I've always been a sucker for such things, how the minis would use our things in their world. But, beyond that, 9 held no real interest for me. It's such a shame we were both excited to see it and then it was just blech.
I may have even fallen asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment