Monday, July 19, 2010

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks

A few days ago I picked my oldest up from Boys' Camp. For some strange reason he didn't feel inclined to sit in the 96 degree heat while his little brother's attended Backyard Bible Club. So we went to the library instead. My current read (A Great and Terrible Beauty) was in my purse but, being a novel junkie, I started picking more stories out anyway. We wound up having to stack several WalMart full of books when we left.
One of the books, which I chose on a whim, was the Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart, author of Dramarama. It is a cruel world that allows the likes of Twilight to usurp the fun and intelligence of the Disreputable History. But, I guess, you have to be part geek to truly appreciate this novel. It's smart and requires a strong vocabulary. I read the whole thing in a day, despite being at my niece's birthday party for half of that day. Frankie is a girl I can identify with and I hope against hope that we will see her again. Although, I imagine E. Lockhart, being the gifted writer she is, is smart enough to know when to quit. Unlike other authors. She is also gutsy enough to allow her characters to take the unconventional route. Take the time to pick this one up. It's well worth it....If I could be any writer, I would be Diana Gabaldon. Since such greatness is unattainable by mere mortals, I would be more like E. Lockhart. The dialogue is stunning and sharp...it was just so much fun. It made me, as a writer, feel very small and insignificant. I'm gonna hafta up my game

No comments:

Post a Comment