Friday, August 27, 2010

Proudly Serving Since 1775


A family project I'm working on. My family has had at least one man in each war this country has fought. I blame it on the Scottish blood! In my mother's paternal line, the first one over was a young Scottish Highlander rebel who was kidnapped and shipped to the US in 1745 as an indentured servant. He was only 14 and had been fighting against the English. On my father's side, which had been here longer, we have at least three great-however many times removed-grandfathers who fought in the Revolution, the French and Indian War, Civil War and so on. My great-grandfather fought in World War I and my grandfather served in World War II, Korea and two tours of Vietnam with the 101st Airborne Division. We have three generation "blood wings" that are passed down each time a man in our family earns his wings. My brother and cousins are currently serving. And my husband, who never should have left the "Big Army" recently re-enlisted but chose to go into the National Guard because my sons are from my first marriage, joint custody and such things...but he is as back in as he can be for now and it's really nice to see him at ease with himself again, back in his element.
I think what I need to do however is add all the women who have waited for their husbands or sons. While I come from a long line of warriors I also come from a long line of strong women who have waited for their husbands and sons to return from war.

A snippet of a mini-documentary I made about my family:


No comments:

Post a Comment