Thursday, February 4, 2010

New Moon ~ Stephenie Meyer


Perhaps a better title for this entry would be "Foot-in-Mouth Disease," which I suffer from horribly.
I am trying to understand why people don't like New Moon.
Twilight was a struggle to read. I just didn't buy into it.
In the beginning, New Moon was worse. But then, something amazing happened. Stephenie Meyer hit her stride. She figured out to weave a story and pace it to tantalize the reader. Don't get me wrong, she's no Diana Gabaldon. She still has a long way to go, but she is going there. Maybe that was the most exciting thing about New Moon for me, seeing the growth of Meyer as an author. Some of the writing was still excruciating (like when Bella realizes she is the zombie) but some of it was so real (maybe because I have lived through similar romantic dramas?) that I was drawn in. She spent so much time developing the relationship between Bella and Jacob that I bought it and suddenly I was conflicted. I believed in their relationship more than I do Edward and Bella's.
Crap, I will have to finish this later. Class time.
Anyway, props to Stephenie Meyer for an amazing show of growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment